Monday, September 28, 2009

Jack and the Beanstalk Mural


The Main Library of the Pine Bluff / Jefferson County Library System in Pine Bluff, Arkansas has a wonderful Jack and the Beanstalk Mural near one of its elevators that I wanted to share. The mural was painted by Dr. Henri Linton, Chair, University of Arkansas Pine Bluff Art Department and student Ariston Jacks in August 1998 when the library was remodeled.


Since most of us will never visit the library itself (myself included), I'm thrilled that the library has included great pictures of the mural on the website to share with the rest of the world. You can read the story illustrated with studies from the mural at: Jack and the Beanstalk Mural with Story.


There is also a page with more pictures that provide a better perspective on the entire project at Jack and the Beanstalk Panoramic View.


And speaking of wonderful library murals, one of the top ranked libraries in the country, Richland County Public Library in Columbia, SC, has The Wild Place at their main library, a children's room decorated with wall murals from Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are. (With the Spike Jonze movie out soon, I thought this was a nice crossover.) I have visited there--I lived in Columbia for one year long ago--and it's wonderful to see the Wild Things in big-as-life size.


There aren't many images on the web but I found these on Lee County Public Library - SC's Flickr page. Sendak gave special permission to RCPL to use the images which are also included in some of their marketing materials. Makes me want my own Wild Thing for my desk. But I'm refraining. For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment