Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Lauren Child's Goldilocks and the Three Bears


This week, the Wall Street Journal reviewed Lauren Child's latest fairy tale interpretation, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, giving it high marks which I never doubted anyway.

Now I am big fan of Lauren Child, whether she is having fun with fairy tales or otherwise. I own most of her Charlie and Lola books and DVDs, I admit. ("I have this little sister, Lola. She's small and very funny.") So in other words, I rather adore Child's work. Charlie is my hero and Lola, well, I wish I had been more like her as a child except that I adore tomatoes and always have. I'm an oldest, so I am more like Charlie. Anyway, back to the fairy tales.


I haven't seen the new picture book yet, but I know I will acquire it soon. It will be very hard to be disappointed in it, so I'm not worried. After all, I already own the others including The Princess and the Pea, Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Book?, and Beware Of The Storybook Wolves. (Which is almost out of print stateside! No!)


All of these books have humor that thrills children and keeps their adults equally entertained. From the prose to the clever illustrations using collages of photography, drawings and other media, these are always great books.


So really, start your Christmas list early or go ahead and get these for your favorite child now, if you don't have them yet, even if that child is you because I can't praise them enough. The biggest complaint is that the design and font choices makes the text somewhat harder to read for beginning readers and sometimes for the first read through for adults. They are not the easiest books for a large storytime audience. But they are worth it.

And if we buy them, she will create more. It's a win-win all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment