Saturday, November 21, 2009

Fairy Tale Origami


Storytime Origami by John Montroll came out earlier this year and delights me no end.

Publisher's description:

Beginning to advanced folders can bring four classic children's stories to life with the origami models in this delightful new book from Dover's bestselling origami author. Thirty-seven different models re-create characters and scenes from "Goldilocks and the Three Bears," "The Three Little Pigs," "Humpty-Dumpty," and "Cinderella."

I love this concept, especially since I love origami. My one sure-fire stand by, "always know it origami", is a swan which I have made hundreds of times over the years. Sometimes I have told a condensed version of The Ugly Duckling as I have folded it for an audience of one or more. This has saved many a melt-down moment for the children in my life since only a piece of paper is needed, nothing else. If I have a regular sheet of paper (8.5 x 11), I can make an entire swan family with the many squares I can derive from it.

Now this expands the concept for more fairy tales and is just fun by itself.

Another wonderful application would be an inexpensive display of the origami figures, especially in a school or library display case. I considered doing one long ago when I was in charge of a few displays...

And most of the kids I know are fascinated with paper folding so they should enjoy it, too. I haven't seen the book in person yet--just learned about it--but Dover site's sample pages show that the diagrams look easy enough to follow, unlike some other origami books I've used.

1 comment:

  1. I never thought to look for something like that! I like origami--this is perfect, thanks for pointing it out! :)

    ReplyDelete