Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Happily Ever After Anthology

Gyspy beat me to the punch on this one a few days ago, but I've decided to take this off draft status and double post it to make sure the news gets out. (She and I know this happens sometimes.) In other words, I just looked at the database myself and didn't see many new entries since the post. I had planned to write about a few of my favorite short stories for the blog entry, but December works against me. So here's the announcement and perhaps I'll share some favorites soon.

From the post on Tor.com, Reprint Anthologies from the VanderMeers and others:

While I’m not doing a submission reading period like Jeff and Ann VanderMeer, I am looking for help in finding science fiction and fantasy versions of fairy tales. Following the lead of John Joseph Adams, I’ve created a story recommendation website for Happily Ever After. There, people can let me know about their favorite science fiction/fantasy fairy tales. My definition of fairy tale is pretty open. That is, you don’t need to stick to just Grimm Brothers or Hans Christian Andersen stories.

Now, I’ve got the excellent Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling anthologies, but don’t hesitate to recommend stories out of them. Also, don’t worry if someone else has already recommended your favorite story; recommend it again. The only rule is that I’m looking for reprints so the story has to have appeared somewhere else. People who recommend a story that ends up in the anthology will get thanked in the book.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

John Klima is the editor of the Hugo-winning Electric Velocipede and the forthcoming science fiction and fantasy fairy tale reprint anthology Happily Ever After.

And if you're looking for some of the titles, many of them are included on the Modern Interpretations pages for the annotated tales on SurLaLune. I actually have a spreadsheet of many anthologies that has helped me sort titles over the years. The things I do to make SurLaLune as comprehensive as possible...


One of my top picks: "Beauty" by Tanith Lee from her long out-of-print collection, Red As Blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment