Sunday, December 30, 2012

Jack, Giant, and Blackboard Jungle



I haven't watched the 1955 film, Blackboard Jungle, in decades. Then while I was puttering around the other night, John was watching it in the same room I was in for a few minutes. Wouldn't you know that of the few scenes I saw, one was a classroom discussion of Jack and the Beanstalk? I couldn't find a clip online, but it was an interesting usage about the ethics and reality of stories. And how fairy tales communicate to a large audience...

From TCM synopsis:

[The teacher] stimulates an animated class discussion by showing a "Jack and the Beanstalk" cartoon in class. Summarizing the discussion, Dadier encourages the young men to consider the real meaning of what they hear and to think for themselves.

From Subzin, which also provides the time stamp in the movie for when the Jack and the Beanstalk takes place:

01:15:40 -Teach, how about some more stories? -Yeah, a story about football.

01:15:43 Hey, teach. Maybe I'll turn out to be a critic on the movies.

01:15:47 How did you like Jack and the Beanstalk? Turned out to be a thief.

01:15:50 I liked the story.

01:15:56 -So you finally got through to them. -I think so.

The film is slated to air on TCM again on MONDAY, JANUARY 21, 2013 @ 08:00 AM (ET).

No comments:

Post a Comment