Monday, May 23, 2016

Dark Shimmer by Donna Jo Napoli



Dark Shimmer by Donna Jo Napoli was released last fall but I missed it while I was traveling. This is Snow White as only Napoli can tell it. The setting and twists to the story are fascinating and made me think a few times, "Why didn't I consider that before?" I still remember the first time I read her The Magic Circle almost two decades ago now which helped to reinvent Hansel and Gretel for me. I've been a fan ever since and remember her very lightly hinting at this book when I heard her speak several years ago. If you are a Napoli fan or Snow White fan, be sure this makes it to your reading list if it hasn't already.

Book description:

Set in medieval Venice, this captivating fairy tale retelling by award-winning author Donna Jo Napoli explores belonging, beauty, and the transformative power of love through the eyes of a teenage girl. Dolce has grown up hidden away on an island in a lagoon. She is a giant, a freak, tormented by everyone but her loving mother. She spends her time learning the valuable secret of making mirrors. Following a tragedy, Dolce swims away and lands on an island where people see her as normal, even beautiful. Marin, a kind widower, and his little daughter bring Dolce to live with them in their grand palazzo. Eventually, Dolce and Marin marry. She secretly continues to make mirrors, not realizing that quicksilver endangers her . . . and so evil begins in innocence.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really interesting! Haven't read Napoli in a while, will look out for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really interesting! Haven't read Napoli in a while, will look out for this!

    ReplyDelete